Sunday, December 2, 2012
Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter
Scale of 1 to 10: Ax wielding vampire killing beard growing slave freeing President
Short story: Definitely worth watching.
Long story: Wow. I was surprised at how much I liked Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter. I rented it thinking it might be fun to watch, see how good it is, that kind of thing. I am so glad I gave it a chance. If you have read the book, from what I understand after talking to someone who loved the book, the movie makes some clear breaks from the book. For those who haven't read the book, here is the low down: Abraham Lincoln has a chip on his shoulder against vampires due to a childhood encounter that destroys his family. From that point on, every significant event in his life stays consistent with history as to the what. But the how and why is explained through... vampires. Enter a severely awesome ax wielding president.
Upsides: Great effects and cinematography. This angle of this famous president is both hilariously refreshing and darkly frightening. The fight scenes are well done and well spaced in the movie: it doesn't feel tacked on at the end or too heavy handed.
Downsides: If you don't like graphic fighting, don't watch it. It is rated R for violence, so don't go see it if decapitated vampires and civil war battles make you squirm.
Final Word: Don't go into it looking for a mature respectful look at a great president. This one isn't going to shed new light on the issue of racism or prejudice and it doesn't try to. If you go see, see it for what it was meant to be seen: a fantastical What if? And by all means, Go See It.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment